Tuesday 22 August 2017

Moving update and our empty house

Hi. 

My name is Sarah...I blog at this site called Thrifty Decor Chick. Remember that blog?  😂

I'm coming up for air -- selling and moving has absolutely kicked my butt. It's been emotionally and physically exhausting. But so far...I would do this process over again (I'd just start packing much sooner) for the end result -- and it isn't even done yet. ;) That's saying a LOT and if you've seen me over the past few weeks, shows you how excited I am for our new house. 

But. I'm going out on a limb here and doing what I hardly ever do...I'm going to say the "never" word. Barring unexpected life events, we are NEVER moving ever again. Mark my words. I'm putting them in writing on this day so it will be known. This shouldn't be a problem, as I've never had the urge to move until I walked through our forever dream house a few months back. So I don't see ever getting the bug again. 

But. Nevahhh

The last I talked with you we had just moved all of our furniture out of our house, and then two hours later got word that a house sale down the line fell through. Turns out we were staying put for awhile...just with no things. Ha! 

Many of you were confused by why a house four down the line would affect us. It's simple really -- each buyer had to sell to buy the next seller's house. If one falls through we're all affected. It left four families in limbo...but it did not last long! 

We have a very close friend who was getting married in Mexico last week and we've had it on our calendar for almost a year. Hence our early move out last week. So we moved out and the next day headed out of the country for a couple days of the beach and margaritas. It did not suck. We paused all of the prep to close on our house, including finalizing details with the lender, insurance rep and utilities. 

We got word on Thursday that the sales were back ON!! Wonderful news!! But the last day of our trip we were scrambling to get things finished. I was totally happy with that because I really needed the security of knowing our house was going to sell soon to get us in to our new one. 

So that's the update -- we closed on our house today (and close on the new one in a few days) and are now in a short term hotel for at least six weeks. Our friends moved into our house yesterday and we were in and out all day grabbing last minute stuff. We had SO many random things laying around! Two things I've learned -- Lego sets are nearly impossible to move without total destruction and Nerf bullets breed like rabbits. Or at least it seems like it. 

Here's the thing. I haven't been that sad! I realized this morning it's because of the simple fact that we will still be able to go see our house all the time...and get to see it loved. How lucky are we? Most people have to walk away from their home forever and never see it again. Ours is not goodbye but a see you soon. Even though all the stress and exhaustion that is not lost on me. We are so very fortunate and I still can't believe it worked out like this. 

I went through the house taking photos of the rooms as I finished emptying them out. I did this to have them for myself, but many of you asked to see them as well. I have never been prouder of our home than when it was empty. Isn't that funny? The character I have added to this home makes it shine without one lick of furniture or decor. It is a true, special beauty and I love it more now than I ever have. 

Here are the photos -- enjoy! I link to each room reveal above the photos and below each photo I linked to ALL of my posts on each of these rooms so you can see the projects through the years. (These were all taken with my cell so the quality isn't the best, sorry about that!)

DIY built in bookcases using kitchen cabinets

Turning a dining room into a library

White wainscoting on walls
(My friend is babysitting the plants while we're in between.)

Gray and white kitchen cabinets

Window seat in kitchen

Kitchen with black chalkboard

DIY extended island in kitchen
You can see how I transformed this space and all of the projects here.

Gray fireplace with built ins

Board and batten on walls
This one is partly kitchen too. ;) 

DIY book nook closet

Office with built in double desk

Basement with built in cubbies and stone fireplace

basement kitchenette with shelves

That's just a few of my favorite spaces in the house, and the ones I'm most proud of after everything was out. I forgot to grab one of our bedroom but it was so beautiful as well!

OK, I swear I'll be back to a normal posting schedule very shortly! I'm hoping this week but I've learned not to promise. ;) We still have another closing to finish up and I have to get our hotel space somewhat organized so we can stop tripping over each other (and the cats). I have some wonderful updates to share on the new house and will also be blogging about each room in our "old" (that's weird to say!) home because I didn't even share some of the final finished spaces.

But I WILL be blogging in a more normal fashion again and I'm really looking forward to it. :) Thanks for your patience with me! This is going to be a fun new journey!

from
http://www.thriftydecorchick.com/2017/08/moving-update-and-our-empty-house.html

No comments:

Post a Comment