Thursday 24 August 2017

Sunflowers in the yard

I know it’s still August, but we’ve started to dip into cooler temperatures here at night already. It makes me a little sad. Summer is one of my favorite seasons. Actually, I’ll take any season but the dead of winter, it’s just too cold… oh and construction. That gets it’s own season here in Chicago. I crazy love this time of year in the yard and garden. It’s filled in and blooming like mad. The garden is churning out a ton of tomatoes, and I’ve found a few garden surprises like  pop-up sunflowers in the yard, and this monster zucchini.

Huge zucchini in the garden

It’s funny how fast they grow to be ginormous. It might be time to make zucchini bread.

View of midwest garden

The sunflowers were planted by squirrels,they have been popping up all over the place. Which is funny, because when I plant them, they never come up that way. I happened to have some sunflower seeds in my birdseed mix this spring. Next year, I think I need to do a birdseed planter with just sunflower seeds in it, and see if I can get them planted all over my yard.

Surprise sunflowers

We have a ton of squirrels where we live. I know some people hate them, but they don’t bother me. Seeing the babies in the spring run between the trees is pretty cute. My sister-in-law hates them. The one thing you should never do in my family is admit to any kind of weakness. It pretty much seals the deal that you are going to get something related to it on every birthday or holiday. She has gotten a constant stream of crap with squirrels on it for about 20 years now.

Sunflower planted from birdseed

Sunflowers in the yard

These sunflowers in the yard were a really nice surprise this summer. They made for a nice addition of color. Do you have any surprise plants in your yard this year?

The post Sunflowers in the yard appeared first on Jennifer Rizzo.



from
https://jenniferrizzo.com/2017/08/sunflowers-in-the-yard.html

No comments:

Post a Comment