Tuesday 10 April 2018

Dramatic fireplace transformation with paint!

Well HELLO! I've been busy. I was trying to remember the last time I picked up a paint roller -- it had to be nearly nine months ago when I finished the bathroom renovation at our old house. It's like riding a bike -- it came right back me! The sore shoulders did as well.  ðŸ˜‚ 

So I told you a few weeks ago about some of my big plans for the house -- I started the bathroom with some peel and stick wallpaper. But I'm a butterfly...I flit from project to project. Sometimes I'm good and have laser focus, but let's be honest, that is rare. It's SO FUN to have a blank canvas again! 

I was really itching to get this project done, just because I KNEW it would look so good. It just came down to deciding on a color. I knew I wanted to go with a dark color because I love contrast. I crave it in our home. I quite loved the calm, plain walls for a few months, but I needed that rich color on this fireplace wall:
Family room with tall fireplace

Here's the inspiration photo I've had saved for years. We looked into expanding our old family room years back and this was our goal for that space:
Style at Home family room with dark fireplace

That didn't happen but I never got that tall, dark and handsome fireplace wall out of my head! 

I didn't take any pics of the process because, well. It's boring. I did tape off the fireplace surround and then cover the top of the mantel. I also covered the floor around the fireplace with a tarp. 

I knew as soon as I started it was going to look even better than I hoped. It took two coats but those two covered beautifully. As you'll see...I couldn't get to the very top. Well, I could, but heights make me sweat. My hands are sweating right now at the thought of going that high on a ladder, just so you know. I'm hiring out for that part.

But I couldn't wait to show you because...SO GOOD!! Here's the fireplace wall in it's new lovely, rich, dark gray/blue color I'm now obsessed with:
Painting a fireplace wall a dark contrast color

Let's crop that, shall we? Haha! This photo makes it look like I have it all together: 
Dark blue/gray paint color on fireplace wall

I'm kind of impressed with how high I got on the front. I used an extension pole and a 10-foot ladder to get that high. I considered getting way up there to cut in...but hand sweat and all. 

You can see I didn't get all the way up on the sides either:
Hiding TV with dark paint color

Again...cropping hides everything:
Dark blue Cyberspace by Sherwin-Williams

The color? The color I'm now totally in love with and want all over my house? It's Cyberspace from Sherwin-Williams. It's an absolutely PERFECT dark gray/blue. Sometimes it looks navy, sometimes it's more dark gray. All the time I love it:
Dark wall, white fireplace surround, gray tile

I've said it no less than 100 times over the years I'm sure -- the biggest bang for your buck in your home is PAINT. It will transform a room with minimal effort. I don't hate painting -- I find it quite cathartic when I get started. (It's the prep I hate!) But this was more tiring than most because of the height. Still...totally worth it for the big impact! 

Two things I love -- the TV and sound bar aren't nearly as in your face as they were before. That's a win in my book. Also, the beautiful fireplace surround and tile really sings now. They are the star. Oh, and three -- the brass accents look crazy good: 
Dark fireplace wall in Cyberspace with white surround and light gray tile

I actually picked out the fireplace tile with a dark color like the inspiration pic in mind. I'm so pleased with how the light gray tile works with it! The paint gives great balance to this space -- the dark chairs and the wall work well together. 

You can see the spots I couldn't get to from these angles: 
Two story fireplace wall in dark blue/gray

That right side goes up a few feet, so not happening with this girl. Nope. 
Painting a two story fireplace

The unfinished parts don't bother me as much as I thought they would, just because we're so crazy about the contrast and color. But I've already made some calls. :) 

I used a smaller foam roller to get behind the TV. I didn't take it down, there's no need. Does it look perfect behind there? That's a big NO. But will anyone EVER see it? Bigger no. 

If you cover that upper part with your hand, it looks pretty good, yes? ;) 
Super tall fireplace wall in dark gray paint

I'm also going to add some kind of wall treatment with trim but I haven't nailed down exactly what I want just yet. I thought I had decided but changed my mind. I wanted to go ahead and paint first so we could enjoy it with the darker color.

It's so pretty during the day, but even more lovely at night. When those candles light up and we have the fire lit (plenty lately because it's been so dang cold still...grrrr) it's just SO cozy and lovely! Goodness, I wish I had done this much sooner!

Here's my favorite part -- the before and after! This room is what I first fell in love with in this house, well before drywall:
Two story fireplace wall in family room

And here it is now, squiggly lines at the top and all:
Tall fireplace in Cyberspace by Sherwin Williams

I now have big plans for the areas under the mirrors. Stay tuned for that. :)

Again, this color is called Cyberspace and I will be using it again. I have been considering a dark color for the basement kitchenette cabinets (when we do that someday) and I think this may be it. If you're looking for a deep contrast color, it's just lovely.

Have you tried this color? Do you enjoy a dark accent wall like I do?





from
http://www.thriftydecorchick.com/2018/04/dramatic-fireplace-transformation-with.html

No comments:

Post a Comment