Wednesday 15 November 2017

Our cozy and welcoming foyer

Well hello! I'm back with a tour of another space in the house, and this room is one of the prettiest in my humble opinion. :) 

Our old house had a TALL foyer. The space itself was open to our front two rooms, but the ceilings soared. It's what made us fall in love with the house 14 years ago as we toured model homes. Later on when I was working as a decorator I had a client who had a foyer that was the very opposite of ours. The ceilings were lower and then when you walked to the back the rest of the house opened up. I fell in love with it, which surprised me because I loved our two story entry so much. 

Hers just felt so welcoming when you walked in and it always stuck with me. So when we first walked through this house months back, this entry ticked yet another box on my mental list of "wants." I love this space! It's just big enough to feel spacious when you walk in, but also feels welcoming and cozy: 

The only new additions to this space are the lanterns (I've searched forever for lanterns that aren't super expensive, these are lovely and a great price for the size!) and the rug -- I got that at At Home for $40. 

This blue dresser has gone through many transformations (I'll link to all the projects at the bottom of this post!) and it landed in a few spots around the old house before landing in our front room: 

This, like all of our dressers/credenzas, was a find on Craigslist. By the way, you don't have to keep these in the bedrooms. ;) 

Because of the shape of the foyer and the dresser (rectangles), I added a round mirror above (I had it in our old foyer) to break things up a bit. I went simple with the decor on the top: 

I've never had a candle in the entry before and I'm not sure why. It's so cozy!

On the opposite wall I hung three black frames that used to be in our family room:

Don't be afraid to hang a set up and down. Use the whole wall -- it's allowed, I promise. :)

The back wall is a little nook that goes to other spaces and I hung my round hanging pendant sconce. I love that thing and have a fake candle with a timer inside. I wanted something simple on that wall because of the three frames so close by. 

I picked a light similar to these bronze flush mounts that I hung in our old house. It's a classic, simple look and doesn't hang too low: 

And here's the view of those frames from the other direction: 

I love this space -- my favorite time of day in here is evening. I love turning on the lamps -- it just feels so welcoming: 

I feel so spoiled having an entry like this. It's one of my favorite parts of the house! Someday I'll add something to that long wall, no idea what just yet. And I plan to add crown for sure. For now I'm enjoying another "finished" space:

Yay! Another room unpacked and put together. It feels so good!! I hope you enjoyed the tour. 😁 If 
you missed the other finished spaces I've shared so far you can check out the powder room here and the mud room/laundry combo as well. 

Here are some projects from this space that you might find helpful:


SaveSave

from
http://www.thriftydecorchick.com/2017/11/our-cozy-and-welcoming-foyer.html

No comments:

Post a Comment