Monday 6 November 2017

Our mud room laundry room combo (this time I love it!)

I've been hard at work getting all of the boxes out of this house! I'm focusing on unpacking right now and just getting items in the right rooms. Then when every box is unpacked I'll start organizing everything. I'm guessing that will be right on time for the new year. ;) 

Today I'm sharing another room I'm putting on the "done" list -- and it's one of our favorite rooms in the house. (If you missed the powder room, check it out!) When we walked in for the first time when the house was just studs, (just to look -- you know how that went), we knew this room off the garage had to be a mud room of some sort but it was big. We were like, what IS this glorious space?

And then we found out it was a laundry/mud room combo and I was all...SOLD. 😂 It's funny because if you've followed me for years you know I absolutely hated our mud room/laundry combo in the old house. I moved our laundry to the basement so we could have a proper mud room and it was one of the best things I ever did there. 

So the thought of the combo again gave me pause, but with the size I knew it could be awesome. Since we were so early in the build I got to pick the layout and added a large closet (that will get it's own post). It took me awhile to decide on placement of everything because I wanted to get it right. I knew we'd have some built ins and cabinets, the closet and a folding table. I had to decide where I wanted it all and this is what we ended up with: 
Mud room laundry combo

I originally wanted to put the washer and dryer on the left of the room as you walk in from the garage, but it just wasn't the most functional layout. We went with three cubbies instead of four with this plan but we don't need more anyway. 
It's so good to be home DIY sign

The floors are so pretty, right? They are porcelain tile that is made to look like marble. SO much more affordable and they are a breeze to take care of. Here is a very similar tile I found for you. I went with a medium dark gray grout so I wouldn't be stressing about keeping grout lines pristine.

I found the perfect spot for my DIY it's good to be home sign! You can see how I made it for super cheap at that link.

I got the fabric baskets at the top of the built ins at HomeGoods and the baskets at the bottom were from Target years ago:
Gray LG washer and dryer set

I used to have them under our long table in the family room. They're a little too big for this spot though and are scratching the wood a bit, so I'll be on the lookout for something different there. You can find the laundry sign at World Market! 

I got the polka dot laundry bins at the Container Store years ago, but they don't have this exact design anymore (at least not that I see online). I LOVE them! By the way, we've never used a washer tray before but I'm glad we have it -- the day after we installed the set a washer hose leaked and this caught all of it! 

We have a long folding table in here that I haven't even used yet because it's had piles of crap on it till literally a few hours ago:
Folding table with litter underneath

I don't know yet what I'll put on that large wall! Any ideas? 

I've been working my butt off on the garage so we've been bringing loads of stuff in and dropping them in here, then taking them where they need to go in the house. It's been my landing zone and most of the time we're barely able to walk in this room. 

Here's how it looked yesterday: 
Real life mud room

Messy mud room

And that is not even nearly as bad as it's gotten! The first few days we were literally stepping on stuff to get in and out. 🙈

One of the perks of blogging is that you're forced to pick up/clean spaces before you write about them. Most of the time I'm flinging things out of shots but I was determined to get this room under control. This morning I hung some stuff on the walls too. :) It's wonderful to have two whole rooms DONE!

The drying rack was from IKEA but I don't think they sell it anymore which is a bummer because it's great: 
Long folding table in laundry

It pulls out to hang stuff and folds flat when not in use. You can still get it on Amazon but it's more expensive than it was at IKEA. 

Isn't that folding area awesome? What you don't see is what is underneath -- the cat litter! I spared you that view but if you have cats you know finding the perfect spot is difficult. I actually like having it right when we walk in because we really keep up with cleaning it out. 

I have a ton of projects planned in here, one of them being a skirt around the bottom of that folding table. As convenient as it is to have the litter there, I'd love to hide it a bit. 

One end of the folding table will serve as a charging station for our phones and electronics, and I have a project in mind for that. I loved having a little lamp in our old laundry room so I made sure we had a spot for it here: 
Affordable felt letterboard sign
You can get that letter board here -- only $10!

So there you go, a tour of our mud room and laundry room combo -- we just love this space! It is GLORIOUS and I feel completely spoiled by it. Now I'm off to break in that folding table. ;)

Let me know if you have questions about anything in this space!
SaveSaveSaveSave

from
http://www.thriftydecorchick.com/2017/11/our-mud-room-laundry-room-combo-this.html

No comments:

Post a Comment